Saturday 16 April 2016

The Baap of All Things

Beckett talks a lot. And these days she talks a lot of stuff that makes sense. Like she clearly identifies Missus as Mumma and my mother as Baa. Staying with the 'M' and 'B' words, Food is MmmMmm and Going out is BaBaa.

While she knows everyone else in the house including Panda, Caterpillar, Flower, Polar Bear, and the likes, the one person she still doesn't identify well is me. I'm like this Fun guy who appears from time to time to either take her out, or play some music, or make funny faces, or prevent her from chewing any of the numerous remote controls littered across the house. While Missus and Mummy are dead sure that she knows who I am, I still have my doubts.

The not so exciting thing for me is that while she is rapidly growing her vocabulary, the word Pappa is still not on it.

So I've taken it upon myself to nudge her to say the word. So our babbling sessions go something like this:

Pappa: 'Aarvi, Pappa kya che?' (Aarvi, Where's Pappa?). 

Beckett: 'WTF are you talking about dude?

Pappa: 'Pap Pa ! Pap Pa' (Trust me, that is a new low even for me)

Beckett: 'Still not ringing any bells, man! I'm not feeling it.'

Pappa (Now Desperate and in Stewie Griffin mode): 'Pa Pa Pa Pa Pa Pa. Pappa Pappa Pappa Pappa. Pop Pop Pop Pop. Papaa (in Italian accent) Papaa Papaa Papaa.'

Beckett (In Google auto correct mode): 'Did you mean Ba baa or Bubba?'

Pappa (Now Getting Creative):   Listen to This or to this.  

Beckett: 'Okay dude. I get it. You're desperate. But you've got to empathize with me. I can't belt out Ps yet. So I'm proposing a compromising. How about if I call you Baa...phhh...? Baa is a strong suit of mine and Phh.. I've learnt to do whenever you try to feed me something and I don't want to eat it. Go check your dictionary and let me know if this works for you.'

And as it turns out, Baap is the universal Indian (in almost every language), not so respectful, word for father. A Few Bollywood videos should help you figure this out better:


(When it comes to relations, I am your father. My name is Shahenshah (emperor))


(When will the Daddy of ManuRanjan come? (Manoranjan means entertainment in Hindi. And Manu and Ranjan are male Indian names))  

So as things stand now, I am Baa...phhh, father of Beckett, orderer of groceries, singer of hard to understand songs. and writer of hard to make sense of blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment