Friday 21 August 2015

Silly Love Songs

You think that Pappa would've had enough of silly love songs.
But he looks around and he sees it isn't so
Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs
What's wrong with that
He'd like to know
'cause here he goes again

One of the countless things that my beautiful daughter has taught me is how beautiful, universal, and malleable the emotion of love is. Before she was born, love to me was the 'boy meet girl, girl meets boy, they fall in love' type of love. I've loved before; the extreme, passionate, loyal, blind, forever, heart breaking kind. And even before that, I've always been in love with 'the one' in my mind since I was a little kid. That should explain my humongous vocabulary of love songs; my way of talking to 'the one'.

After becoming a father, I've realised that I can sing most of the love songs to Aarvi and they'd be just as applicable but would elicit a completely different emotion. It would still be the highest form of love, but in a completely different one. In a way she has now become 'the one', but in a different way.

Take 'Masha Allah' from Saanwariya. My most favourite love song ever. I could sing this song to both Nidhi and Aarvi with absolute fealty to both and mean completely two different things. Take 'Nothing's gonna change my love for you', same thing or 'Tum Mile' from Tum Mile or 'Your Song' by Elton John. And the list keeps going on and on. Pick one at random and there is more than a good chance that it will work.

If you don't get what I'm trying to say, its fine. The limitations are mine. Someday, somehow, you will know, and you will realize what a sweet little, life changing, perception altering eureka it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment