Saturday 16 May 2015

Bachelorhood redux

After getting married, I'd always fantasised how amazing it would be to go back to my bachelor life. No strings attached, no restrictions on sleep time, and no hassles of eating food or doing household chores by the clock.

Let me tell you, it is not as much fun as I thought it would be. In fact it's dreary and depressing. With Atman working now, and Mom retired, bachelorhood redux is not something that yours truly is enjoying.

What led to this, you ask?

Missus has a father who is a doctor and Missus grew up in Baroda.

A woman's body and mind undergo tremendous change and flux during pregnancy. There is no way someone as self absorbed and as harrowed with work as I can understand or respond to those changing needs and behaviours better than Nidhi's own mother. Also, it is sort of a tradition in India that the mother to be goes to her parents' place for the birth of the first child.

In short, Missus gave a big thumbs down to my ability and bandwidth to manage and be useful during and after the child birth process. And I would grudgingly agree; although given a chance I'm absolutely confident, I would've delivered (pun unintended). 

So after the baby shower, Missus headed to Baroda and as much as I thought it  not possible, both yours truly and Missus got emotional when she was leaving.

And thus began my at least four month period of bachelorhood redux, something that I was so looking forward to. 

Two weeks in, I'm all sleep deprived, fatigued, and disorganised.

In the last two weeks I've undertaken at least 7 to 8, 30 day experiments (practice the baansuri everyday, lose 5 kg by exercising daily, write 2 pages of the chronicles daily, find suitable mentors, trade stocks everyday etc.) that I promised to do when I have the opportunity and time. Unfortunately, all have been unsuccessful so far and yours truly has not been able to stay disciplined for more than 3 to 4 days at a stretch.

But I'm not going to give up. Am currently in Baroda napping next to Missus. Will start again on Monday and this time I swear to God I will prevail in my endeavours. I won't let bachelorhood redux go to waste.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment