Sunday 25 February 2024

Table Tennis & Gulab Jamun

Watching Beckett learn to play Table Tennis over the past 6-7 odd months has been fascinating, inspiring, and deeply satisfying. Missus was a national-level Table Tennis player back in India and I've played it on & off, mainly dictated by access to a Table, since I was 9.

Seeing her go from being barely able to make contact between paddle & ball, to consistently putting the ball on the table, to going toe to toe with Missus & me on rallies, to now learning how to chop & spin, has been lots of fun. 

While she goes for regular coaching, I thoroughly enjoy playing the game and transferring some of what I know to her. I'm surprisingly not an overbearing father or teacher when it comes to Table Tennis. Also, much of what I talk to her is about the stuff between the two ears and not about the technique or skill of the game.

One of the first things I did when we moved to our current home was to get the Table. Preetesh and one of his friends, my eternal gratitude to both of them, helped assemble it, and after a month or so of Missus & I playing regularly, it had been stoutly ignored for a little over a year till Beckett started playing. For the past 6 odd months, it has been an investment that has repaid itself multiple times over for the entire family - given that today we had Finch play for the first time (standing on the chair, with Missus holding her hand & paddle).

Finch is now fully potty trained. Achievement unlocked. 

She called me Gulab Jamun a few weeks ago. I thought she was making a reference to the increasing girth of my waist and increasing elasticity of my face, but then realized that this was a moniker of affection for everyone she is comfortable hugging. 

She also scratches the living daylights out of anyone close to her when her mood is running afoul & trimming her nails is a herculean 3 person task, as challenging as getting her to gulp down medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment