Saturday 2 February 2019

Treasure Hunt

My walks and 1:1 time with Beckett are some of my best times ever.

Today we went on a treasure hunt.


Beckett: 'You've got to look through this!'


Me: 'What? This? This is an empty Toilet paper roll!'


Beckett: 'No! It's a Telescope! Only if you look through it can you find the Treasure!'


And suddenly a line from a book flashed in front of my eyes. 


It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. 


Me: 'Look! What's this? That's a snail!'


Beckett: 'Wow!'


Beckett: 'I found another treasure!' (And she ran towards it).


Me (running after her): 'Wait for me.... Ahh... What's this? It's Dog Poo!'


Beckett: 'That's a treasure too! Because we found it!'


Me: 'Of course!' (This girl is now taking me to philosophy class)


Another line from a poem flashed before my eyes.



Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand That this, too, was a gift.

Over the next hour, we found treasures in the form of earthworms trying to cross a cement path, a kingfisher giving us a magnificent demonstration of its wings beating 50 times a second, some random berries that had fallen from their tree, a trinket that really looked like an object from a treasure, and a bunch of twigs that we carried with us back to our apartment complex. 


Every time we found something new, there was a great sense of wonder, curiosity, and achievement at having unlocked some hitherto unknown bounty of nature. 


For someone who spends his days creating order and structure and chasing targets, going treasure hunting was a wonderful lesson in finding that everything is a treasure if you look at it the right way.     

No comments:

Post a Comment